This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Transfer of house pursuant to consent order – is stamp duty land tax payable?

Question I currently own a house in Exeter with my ex-wife. I am transferring the property pursuant to a consent order into mine and my new girlfriend's name. My ex-wife is receiving a lump sum of money and we are repaying the existing mortgage and taking a new mortgage in our joint names. Am I liable to any stamp duty land tax?
Arthur Weller replies:
If you look at you can see that certain transactions on the ending of a marriage are exempt from stamp duty land tax. These transactions are those made between the parties to the marriage as a result of:
•certain types of court order;
•an agreement between the spouses/partners in contemplation or in connection to the dissolution or annulment of their marriage or civil partnership; or
•their judicial separation or a separation order.
However, the exemption is not available if the transaction involves someone other than the spouses or civil partners. So, it is worth checking to see whether it makes a difference that the property is being transferred into the names of both you and your new girlfriend.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question