This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I claim travel expenses to my rental property?

Question I only have one property in the UK and live in Spain. I go back to the UK three times a year and hire a car. I stay with my daughter and visit my property 20-plus miles away. Can I claim any of the car hire costs for tax purposes?
Arthur Weller replies: 
If I understand you correctly, you own one property and that is a UK property that you rent out. While staying with your daughter you hire a car to see your rental property. If you look at HMRC’s Property Income manual at you can see that, from what you have written, the cost of the car hire is an allowable expense that you can offset against your rental income. I am making the assumption that you do not use the car for any other purpose at all. 

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question