This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

If I sell my only home would I be liable to capital gains tax?

Question We have owned our current house (which has been our home) for the last 20 years. We are considering downsizing by buying a second property, which is in need of modernisation, with the intention of selling our home and then moving into the second property when updating is completed. Would I be liable to pay capital gains tax (CGT) on the sale of my current home?
Arthur Weller replies:
From what you have written it would appear that you will not pay any capital gains tax (CGT) when you sell your current home, because all the gain is covered by principal private residence relief. That being so, you would not even have to put this sale on the capital gains supplementary pages of the self-assessment tax return.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question