This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Will tax be payable once we move out?

Question I have owned a buy-to-let property for four years. However I've recently re-mortgaged the buy-to-let property and realised that we might need to move in genuinely for a few years and move on to a bigger house later. After living in the property for one year and we move out, will I have to pay capital gains tax?

Arthur Weller replies:
If the house genuinely becomes your principal private residence (PPR) then you will be exempt from capital gains tax on the eventual sale of the house for: (a) the one year period you actually lived in the house as your PPR; plus (b) the last 18 months of ownership (unless this overlaps with the one year); plus (c) you will be eligible for lettings relief for the period the house was rented out (unless it overlaps with the 18 months). The rest of the capital gain will be chargeable on you.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question