This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can we save tax by buying in our children’s names?


We are in the process of buying a flat for our two children (20 & 24) to live in. We only want to charge them a nominal rent i.e. enough to cover our small mortgage on the property. Does that cause any problems when submitting a tax return and will the property be subject to CGT if we decide to sell?


Arthur Says

If the rental income is completely offset by the interest repayments (not capital repayments) of the mortgage, then you will have nil rental income, and not have any concern with the tax return. However the property will be subject to capital gains tax when sold, because principal private residence relief is not available, since the owners are not the occupiers. There are ways round this, involving trusts, but this involves advanced tax planning.


Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question