This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Do I pay CGT if I build two apartments within my PPR residence?


I am planning to extend my property (Principle private residence) to build two apartments. While I would continue to live in my current property I want to sell the two new apartments.  Do I have to pay any tax from the gains? If yes then how can it be reduced?


Arthur Says

If the new apartments are essentially separate from the original dwelling, with their own entrances, then for tax purposes they will be considered separately.


Therefore they will not benefit from principal private residence relief, except on the land on which they are built. This assumes that the land was used until now for the enjoyment of the taxpayers dwelling.


So tax will have to be paid on the profit on the apartments.


From your message it seems as though you are doing this as a property development project, not with the intention of keeping long term. If so the profit will be subject to income tax, like any trading income.


If you are a basic rate taxpayer, and can take dividends from a limited company without further tax, it may be worth exploring the possibility of doing the project through a limited company.


Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question