This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I change my ‘intention’ to help reduce my property tax bill?


What would the tax treatment be if I were to buy a house with a view to doing it up and selling it for a profit, but then change my mind and decide that I would like to live their as my main residence. Would I, after 1,2 or 3 years time when I sell the property still have to pay tax as a developer or would I be allowed to claim PPR? I only ask this because of the initial intent and the intent is one of the ways the I.R. use to determine which category you fall into.


Arthur Says

ICTA 1988 sec 776 says that if property is acquired with the intention of selling on at a profit, then that profit shall be subject to income tax, i.e. without the benefits of capital gains tax reliefs. Paragraph 9 there says that this does not apply to a situation where it was the individual's private residence.


However it refers you to TCGA 1992 sec 224 paragraph 3, where it says that if the acquisition was for the purpose of realising a gain, then principal private residence relief shall not apply.


This is not a clear cut matter. However if there was a genuine change of mind it is quite possible that the Inspector would accept that principal private residence relief should apply.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question