This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

How can my partner reduce his CGT on a property that he has never lived in?

Question  My Partner and I live together in my house, we are not married and he does not pay any mortgage or bills here.  He bought a house close by that he rents out and has never lived in, we now wish to sell his house and for him to move in here on a more permanent basis. Is it possible for him to move into his house for the time being to limit capital gains tax as he has never lived there, there is no PPR as it stands, he lived away and moved down to be closer to us. I had had a very nasty divorce I was not willing for him to be put on this mortgage and advised him to keep a foot on the housing ladder.  Now it seems he is liable for CGT if he sells. Any advice on this would be great!

Arthur Says
This is a frequently asked question. The answer is unfortunately not clear cut. However it may be fair to say that a) if your partner has no other property that is eligible to be his ppr, because he owns no other residence nor does he rent any other residence, and b) he moves into this (until now) investment property with all his belongings, 'lock, stock and barrel', and informs everyone of his new address, and c) he stays there and lives there fully for six months to a year, then more than likely the Revenue would accept that this residence is his ppr. Concerning point a), even if he has another property that is eligible to be his ppr, if he makes an election to the Revenue that the residence that he is moving into now is now his ppr and not the other residence, then it will legitimately become his ppr.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question