This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I offset a loan from my husband against my rental income?


My husband is prepared to loan me money for a buy-to-let property.  Can I offset the interest of this loan from the rental income?


Arthur Says:

Yes you can offset the interest of this loan from the rental income. However, since the loan is from a connected person, I would strongly advise you to draw up proper paperwork before the loan starts, showing a legitimate, authentic loan agreement. And ensure that the interest payments go from a bank account in your own name into a bank account in your husband's name, so that you can prove that the payments actually took place, should the Revenue question you. (See pages IHTM28321-3 from the Revenue manuals, on the HMRC website.)


Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question