This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Which valuation figure would be used to determine my capital gains tax?

I have lived in my home for 12 years and in that time added a whopping extension. I am hoping to build a new home and move into that, while keeping the second home and letting it. I realise there is an 18 months extension, but my question is what happens after that? Say I paid £200,000 for my house, then spent a further £100,000 (eight years ago) on extending it. The valuation is therefore considerably more than it would be had we not extended, i.e. when we come to sell let’s say the value is £600,000, but had we not extended, £450,000. How does this come into effect with capital gains tax (CGT)? As I understand it, we'd be taxed for CGT for the percentage of time we weren't in the property (plus 18 months), so surely that's unfair as the 'profit' (for want of a better word) was made while in occupation (by natural increases plus the extension). Is there any way I could get a valuation now (or in 18 months), and then pay the CGT on the difference (between sale price and valuation) when we come to sell?

Arthur Weller replies: 
The way it works for capital gains tax is that you take the entire gain (e.g. £600,000 less £200,000 less £100,000 = £300,000) and divide it by all the years of ownership. Let's say you move out today and sell in three years’ time, so your years of ownership are 15. Your capital gain per year is £20,000. The first 12 years are exempt, as are the last 18 months of ownership. So you are only taxable on the 18 months starting today, which equates to a capital gain of £30,000. If you let out the house during this 18 month period you are eligible for the letting exemption, to reduce the £30,000. Unfortunately, the rules do not agree with your suggested method of calculation.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question