This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

What are the tax implications regarding personal allowances and the rent-a-room scheme?

I am a married 75 year old pensioner who works part time and I use all of my personal tax allowance.  My wife is also 75 years old and takes in foreign students in the rent-a-room scheme.  Are there any tax implications we should be aware of?

Arthur Weller Replies:
If your rental income qualifies for rent-a-room relief, then it is generally exempt from income tax. See It will have no impact on your personal allowances, i.e. any calculations involving your personal allowances will exclude the qualifying rent-a-room relief income. Perhaps your question is regarding the income limit for age related allowances, which was £24,000 in 2011-12. If you look at you will see that income for this calculation only includes income subject to income tax – so it excludes qualifying rent-a-room relief income.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question