This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Income Tax and the Landlord

I bought a property in 2006 on a buy-to-let repayment mortgage which I rent to my brother at a low rent. We signed a tenancy agreement at the beginning and have been rolling it ever since. I had never thought about income tax for this letting and because I haven't made any profits on the property I have never done any tax returns for rental income.  When there was an increase in the interest payment for the mortgage I made a loss for about 2 years. Do I have to do backdated tax return? Also what documents do I need to provide? I never kept any of the receipts for expenditure (e.g. repairs) and I don't even have the original tenancy agreement.  What penalties will I incur? If I sell now will I have to pay CGT?  If so, how will they know that I ever rented the place as there was no profit and the property was rented to my brother?

Arthur Weller Replies:
If you look on page PIM4205 of HMRC’s Property Income Manual ( you can see that if a property is let out non-commercially, e.g. at a nominal rent to a relative, then the losses it creates (e.g. if the interest payable on this property is greater than the rent received from it) cannot be used elsewhere by the landlord. Similarly on page PIM2220 of HMRC’s Property Income Manual ( You won’t incur any penalties because you made no profit on this property and therefore owe no tax to HMRC for it. However you will need to pay CGT on it when you sell.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question