This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

We both started living in the property at different times will this affect our tax position when we sell?


I bought my house (main residence) in April 2000 for £75,000. My partner moved in 2013 (main residence). We then moved to a bigger house and let out our old house. She became joint owner on a buy-to-let mortgage. We sold the property in September 2019 for £260,000. What portion of capital gains tax are we both liable for?

Arthur Weller replies: 
I am not sure what you mean by 'she became joint owner on a buy-to-let mortgage'. Does it mean that she just became responsible for half the mortgage, or does it also mean that she also became owner of half the house. If the latter (as your words imply), did you transfer while you were still living in the house? And were you married at the time, or just partners? In HMRC’s Capital Gains manual (at, it states: ‘if one spouse transfers to another spouse while they are living in the house as their main residence, the receiving spouse takes over the principal private residence history of the giving spouse’. Assuming that you did actually give her half the house, you are both liable for tax on half the gain. You are eligible to principal private residence relief on your half, but whether she will be eligible to any relief is dependent on the above conditions being fulfilled.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question