This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Disposing of my share of property within six years - exempt from CGT

Question My son and I purchased a property in May 2013, each owning 50%. The whole property became my principal private residence for about a month while renovations were carried out. After that the whole property was let out. I now wish to transfer my 50% share to my son. Since I will be disposing of my share within six years of the property first being rented out, can you confirm that under the six-year rule the property continues to be totally exempt from capital gains tax (CGT)?

Arthur Weller replies:

I do not know of the ‘six-year rule’ that you refer to. To my understanding, you will be liable to regular CGT on the transfer of your half of the house to your son. I cannot see HMRC agreeing to any principal private residence relief being applied here just because you lived in the property for about a month while renovations were carried out.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question