This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Two lots of the same work - can I claim for both?

I was scammed by cowboy builders who did substandard work on my property. I had to bring in new builders to re-do the work, so I ended up paying double! Can I claim the full amount of the original substandard work in full against future income?

Arthur Weller replies:
I cannot bring you a source backing up my opinion, but in my opinion you can claim the full amount. The reason being that you acted in a genuine manner, and your expenditure fulfils the 'wholly and exclusively' condition, even though you ended up paying more than the work should have cost.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question