This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Property refinance costs - what is the tax position?

Question How are property refinance costs treated for tax purposes? Specifically, legal fees, search fees and new lender’s fees. On the original purchase of course all these costs are not allowable for current income purposes, but form part of any eventual capital gains computation.

Arthur Weller replies:
On original purchase legal fees, search fees and other fees relating to the purchase are classified as capital expenditure - see But fees relating to obtaining loan finance are allowable revenue expenses - see If the refinance simply replaces and stands in the shoes of the original finance, then the refinance fees should also be allowed, like the original.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question