This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Tenant wants to purchase the property: What are the CGT implications?

Question I own a second property, which I rent to my son. He wishes to join the property market but can't afford a mortgage. He has proposed to buy the rental property he occupies by paying me a fixed sum each month for a pre-defined percentage ownership of the rental property. He will continue to pay me rent on the percentage I still own. My questions are: (1) Do I pay capital gains tax (CGT) or income tax on this fixed monthly sum? (2) If it is CGT to pay but the annual sum paid each year is below the personal CGT allowance, do I avoid paying CGT year on year?

Arthur Weller replies: 

The money he pays you is subject to CGT. If you would make a new contract each month, then each month would be a new sale, and would trigger a small capital gain. Because CGT is dependent on the contract (see HMRC’s Capital Gains manual: But if instead you had only one contract, which stated that the property is being transferred and paid for a bit each month, the whole amount would be subject to CGT immediately. If you choose to make a new contract each month, and the sum total of the capital gains is below the CGT annual exemption, it is possible to avoid paying CGT year on year.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question