This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Selling half the garden: What is the tax position?

Question If I transfer part of my main residence (i.e. half the garden) to my son to build his own house will this transaction be exempt from capital gains tax? Does the answer vary if I have not actually lived in the house which was inherited from my father, but have lived in a caravan on the grounds while he was still alive and needed to rebuild the property before moving in? 

Arthur Weller replies:

If you transfer part of the garden of your main residence to someone, this transfer should be eligible for principal private residence (PPR) relief. Even if you didn't live in the main house, but lived in a caravan on the grounds, and you 'enjoyed the use' of the grounds as part of your living in the caravan, PPR relief could be available. See HMRC’s Capital Gains internal manual (at and cg64391). 

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question