This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Tax and solar panels

Can any claim be made for solar panels installed on a residential property that is let? It seems not, as the feed-in tariff (FIT) would not be taxable but would like confirmation.

Arthur Weller Replies:
Firstly, I need to refer to you to 2 excellent articles on this subject by Lee Sharpe in the October 2011 and November 2011 editions of Property Tax Insider. Secondly, the answer to your question is that installing solar panels is a capital improvement. This means that you cannot claim the expense against rental income, but when you eventually sell the property, you can add the cost to the original cost of the property in order to reduce the capital gain. This answer is not dependent on whether the FIT is taxable or not.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question