This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Should voluntary disclosure be the way forward for wife not declaring rental income?

Question A husband and wife have been letting out a house for 5 years, but not declaring the income. I have received a letter from HMRC asking about the rental income, but wife hasn't. As husband is higher rate taxpayer, they wanted the wife to receive most of the rental income. I don't think they can do this as the property is owned by both of them, and no form 17 has been been submitted. Am I correct? Also, as wife hasn't been contacted by HMRC, is it worth making a voluntary disclosure? Or is that a waste of time as she's only making the disclosure because husband has been contacted by HMRC and therefore the disclosure could be viewed as prompted?
Arthur Weller replies:
If the house is in joint names, and no Form 17 has been submitted, the rental income is attributed 50:50 to husband and wife, automatically. It is still worth making a voluntary disclosure to HMRC now for the wife, even though the husband has already been contacted by HMRC.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question