This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Developing a property to live in and selling the current one

Question What are the tax implications of buying a second property to develop as our main home whilst remaining in our first property while the work is carried out (which could take up to two years)? The first property would then be sold. It has been our only home for over 30 years. Only one property would be occupied at a time.
Arthur Weller replies: 
There will be no capital gains tax (CGT) on the sale of the first property, because if the gap between moving out and selling it (exchange of contracts) is nine months or less (when the sale is after 5 April 2020) the capital gain is covered by principal private residence (PPR) relief. However, you may have a problem if you want to eventually sell the second property after living in it as your principal private residence (PPR) for some time. If the time it took you to develop it would be 12 months or less, those 12 months would also be covered by PPR relief - see HMRC’s Capital Gains manual at CG65003. But when this period is longer, so that the time between buying it and moving in is between 12 and 24 months, it is up to HMRC’s discretion whether to allow PPR relief for this period. If HMRC accept that there were 'good reasons for exceptional delay', PPR relief is available for this initial period (see CG65009).

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question