This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Repairs to Commercial Property

If a business rents a commercial property and has to replace part of the concrete floor in the warehouse to enable continued operations, would this be an allowable expense?

Arthur Weller Replies:
If I understand you correctly, you are a tenant who runs a business from premises that you rent from a landlord, and you have to pay for the repair of the concrete floor. Your question is: is this payment an allowable business, revenue, expense that you can offset in full in the current year against your business profits? If you look on page PIM2020 on the HMRC Property Income Manual you can see that a repair of a part of the structure of a property, when the replacement can be classified as ‘like for like’, i.e. without a significant upgrade or improvement to what was there originally, can be treated as a revenue, allowable business expense. This can be true even if the repairs are substantial.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question