Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Mum gave me gift of house but died within seven years

Question My mum died before the seven years were up (six years and three months) after she transferred the title deeds of a house into my name. What will happen now for inheritance tax purposes?

Arthur Weller replies:
The gift of the house by your mother uses up part or all of inheritance tax nil rate band of £325,000 that was available to her estate. So more of the remaining estate will now not be covered by the nil rate band, and therefore subject to inheritance tax. If the value of the house when transferred was more than the nil rate band, extra tax on the house will have to be paid now, but 80% taper relief (more than six years since date of death) would be available against the extra tax.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question