This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

How does this sale impact on each of our tax liabilities?

Question What is the tax treatment for property 'trading stock' when it is sold if the property isn't fully owned by the property trader? I am a sole trader who has worked for two years on a property bought (jointly with my wife) with the intention of renovating it and selling for a profit. I understand that the profit coming to me will be liable to income tax. However, if 50% of the property is owned by my wife (who has only helped out with the work only a handful of hours per week on average), how does this impact on each of our tax liabilities?

Arthur Weller replies.
It seems that you have a partnership here. In a regular partnership the income split is the same as the capital split. But if you look at HMRC’s Business Income manual (at, you can see that (at the right time) you can change the entitlement to income profits, so that it is different to the capital split.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question