This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Is there CGT due on a property purchased for my mother?

Question I purchased a house in 1984 for the sole purpose of my mother to live there rent free. I paid the mortgage and all maintenance bills, my mother paid the utility bills. My mother has now passed away and I intend to sell the house. Am I liable for capital gains tax?

Arthur Says:

A property owned on 5 April 1988 that has been continuously occupied rent free by a dependant relative since that date is exempt from capital gains tax (CGT) when disposed of, by virtue of Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act (TCGA) 1992 section 226. A dependant relative includes a mother who has no husband, and also usually includes a mother over 65.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question