This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I buy property for a child under the age of 18?

Question We are considering buying a property, which will be let. Is there a way to buy this property for a child who is 13. Is it possible to put it in some form of trust for your child in order to decrease the tax burden. For example CGT tax etc.

Answer - Can A Minor Own Property in the UK?

A minor under the age of 18 cannot own land or property in the UK, so it would have to be owned in trust by trustees, e.g. parents, for the beneficial ownership of the 13-year-old.

Any asset owned by a child under 18 and unmarried, derived from the property of the parents that produces income of more than £100 per year, is taxed on the parents as the parents income.

However this doesn't apply for CGT purposes.

Bare Trusts for Property Owners Under 18

One possible solution is to create a ‘bare’ trust. A ‘Bare’ trust can be created where that the child is the beneficial owner, and the parents are the legal owners who hold the property effectively as nominees. When the property is sold it will be taxed only on the child (who will have their own CGT annual exemption, and perhaps lower tax bands - if they don't have much other income) and not on the parents.

But it must be remembered that the child cannot be prevented from having the property put into his own legal ownership at age 18.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question