Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Is there a tax liability?

I took a loan of my mortgage and invested the money elsewhere to get higher rate of interest. To explain with an example, I took withdrew £60,000 from my mortgage and put this money in a savings account which gives me 3% AER while my mortgage is 0.98%. Now I have to pay 0.98% on £60,000 to my bank.  Do I pay tax on the difference? ie 3% less 0.98% or the entire 3% because I am paying interest(0.98%) on the loan anyway

Arthur Weller replies:
You are not a money lender running a money lending business, but an individual investor. Therefore you pay tax on the entire 3%, but the 0.98% is not an allowable expense to offset against the 3%.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question