This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I use equity released to pay for my new residence?

I have inherited two properties and let out our main residence and moved to a bigger new property. My wife and I have setup a property rental company. We have remortgaged all three properties on a repayment basis to pay for the deposit and pay our mortgage on our new property. Can I write off the interest payments on the three properties against my rental income and can I use the equity released from the properties to reduce the debt on my new main residence?

Arthur Weller replies:
If the value of the loan on the property is not more than the value of the property when you started to rent it out, then all the interest is an allowable expense that you can offset against your rental income. Furthermore you can use the borrowed money for any personal purpose, like paying for the deposit and mortgage on the new house you are now living in. 

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question