This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Is It Possible to Change From Renewal to Wear and Tear Allowance?


We are a company of property managers. We lease apartments from professional landlords and rent them out on a nightly basis to mostly corporate clients. There were large start-up costs four years ago so, despite making money in the last three years, this is the first year that we face a corporation tax bill.


In the past we opted for replacement cost for fittings and fixtures: not a conscious decision, more by default as tax was not an immediate issue. Now it is clear that we would benefit from claiming 10% wear and tear allowance instead.


How does one best approach HMRC with such a request, given that this is a dispensation not a right, and that it will cost HMRC to grant it?


Answer: Have a look at the Property Income Manual on the Revenue website page PIM3200. "Whatever basis is chosen must be followed consistently. It isn’t possible to chop and change between the wear and tear allowance and the renewals allowance from year to year." This implies that it is possible to change, but not 'from year to year'. However, I have had difficulties with Inspectors concerning taxpayers who wanted to change for the first time. I would advise you that the first time you change should be OK, but to make sure you could write to your tax office explaining what you are doing, and the reason why you are making the change.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question