This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can My Mother Transfer Her Property Into Mine and My Sister's Name?

Question Can my elderly mother transfer her property, which she owns, into my mine and my sister's name without incurring any costs, or are there any provisos? She wants to do this in case she has to got to go into a care home in the future and does not want to sell her property to pay for it?

Answer: From a tax perspective she can probably do so. a) As far as capital gains tax (CGT) is concerned, if she has lived in all of the house for all the years of her ownership, as her main residence, then transferring it will be exempt from CGT.


b) As far as stamp duty is concerned, if your monther transfers it to you,her children, as a gift, i.e. without receiving anything in return, then the transfer will be exempt from stamp duty.


c) As far as inheritance tax (IHT) is concerned, there is no IHT to pay now (being a transfer to an individual - a PET), and if she lives for seven years after the transfer, then the value of the house will not be included in her taxable estate when she dies. However, if she does not live for seven years after the gift, then the house will be included in her estate at death. What we have just now explained about IHT applies if your mother does not continue to live in her house. But if she does, then this is classified as a 'gift with reservation', and the house will always be included in her estate at death, even if she lives for seven years after the gift.


From a practical/legal perspective, sometimes transferring one's house to relatives is effective in avoiding paying for nursing home care, and sometimes it is not, depending on a number of factors, e.g. the length of time between the transfer and going into the nursing home, etc.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question