This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

How to amend previously submitted tax returns?

Question I forgot to include some expenses on my last tax return. Can I include them on next year's return even if they were for last year?

Ian Says

You can only include expenses for the tax year in question on that year's Return, subject to the pre-trading expenditure rules.

Your solution is simple - redo the Tax Return for the year in question and submit an error or mistake claim with the revised Tax Return for the year in question.

Be prepared for the Revenue to ask for backing details for the entries on your Return and they may open an enquiry into the Tax Return on the basis they suspect your record keeping is not up to scratch.

Dependent on the time frame it is open to the Revenue to accept or reject your claim as they see fit. If it is within the time limit for amendments to that year's Tax Return then there is no need to make the error or mistake claim, merely submit a revised Return and a letter saying why you are doing it.

If you are past the time limit for amendments, then the Revenue have the power to accept or reject the claim as they see fit.

Usually they will accept the claim on the basis of being 'fair' to taxpayers.

Case Study

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question