This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

How Long Should I Live in a Property for it to Become My Main Residence?

Question My partner, who has lived with me for the last two years, has a property that he lived in for 3 years, before moving in with me. He is letting out his property but at some point we will want to buy together and sell both properties. My understanding was that you only needed to live in a property you have let out for 6 months at some point to not be taxed, but are you saying there is some rule regarding letting it for more or less than 3 years or living in it for more or less than 3 years?
My situation is that I have had four buy to let properties for a few years now. I will sell them off one by one eventually. The only way I can avoid tax is by living in them for 6 months or more before I sell them, though you did say somewhere else the tax people are cracking down on that?

Arthur Weller Replies:

There is no official minimum time that a taxpayer needs to be living in a property to make it qualify as their principal private residence (PPR). It is dependent on the 'quality of residence', i.e. the taxpayer needs to show that they moved in and resided with a 'degree of permanence, continuity or the expectation of continuity'.

Some tax advisers would advise six to twelve months of full occupation but other people would advise different amounts. See the Capital Gains Manual page CG64420 on the HM Revenue and Customs website:

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question