This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

How Can We Avoid Capital Gains (CGT)?

Question We have a small family situation whereby we have a property inside a partnership which needs to be transferred to some form of limited company with different shareholders. Do you have any suggestions on how we can achieve this without being effected by capital gains? We will consider offshore or other structures if this helps as we simply do not have the funds to pay the tax gain.

Arthur Weller Replies:
Unless you are incorporating a business and the property is used commercially in the business (in which case a form of rollover / holdover relief is available) then I do not really have a good answer for you. Rollover / holdover relief is only available for investment property because of a) compulsory purchase, or b) in a case of furnished holiday lettings.

Furthermore, putting the property into a connected limited company will trigger stamp duty land tax based on the present market value of the property, irrespective of what the limited company pays the present owners for the property. Just for comprehensiveness, I should mention that the tax on the capital gain on any asset can be deferred by reinvesting the gain in an EIS company - but this relief is not so practical to apply in most real life cases.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question