This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I offset rental losses against other partners income?

Question My wife has a BTL property in her name, which returns £300 per month taxable gains after all expenses.

1) She is about to purchase a flat, which initially will make a monthly loss after expenses of £100. Can this £100 be offset against the £300 leaving a taxable balance of £200?

2) If as I suspect she can, would I also be able to take advantage of this situation if I was to purchase the flat in my name instead of hers?

Ian Says:

Firstly, provided the flat is rented out on the same basis as the first one, then the profit and loss from both properties are added together to determine the overall rental profit, so the loss can be offset against the profit.

Secondly, if you purchase the property in your own name then you will have a loss of £100 per month and your wife will have a profit of £300. This means that you will end up having a loss to carry forward against future rental profits and your wife will incur tax on the £300.

This does not seem particularly sensible.

Dependent on your relative incomes, it may be advisable to hold both properties in joint names to utilise all your allowances.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question