This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I offset costs incurred for a property I never purchased?

Question I have attempted to buy some property in the past year but failed. Thus, I have incurred legal costs and survey costs on properties I have decided not to buy.

Can I set off these costs/losses against capital gains I have made on other properties?

Ian Says:

The legal and other costs you have incurred are not allowable against the capital gains you have made on other properties as each property is treated separately for CGT purposes. If you were a property trader and subject to income tax on your sales then there is an argument for including these costs in your accounts as abortive capital expenditure or normal running costs of the business.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question