Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Would this be classed as an equity release scheme?

A relative aged 66 has no assets other than his house which is wholly owned and worth £150,000. I plan to gift him £500 per month.  If he gifts me a share of the house, perhaps every 2 years, to compensate me in full - does this constitute an Equity Release Scheme which would impact his Pension Credit, etc?

Arthur Weller Replies:
Any buyer and seller can claim that they are 'gifting' to each other, and that nothing commercial has taken place, but the reality is that a sale has happened.
It sounds to me that this is applicable to your scenario, and that there is either a sale here, or an Equity Release Scheme. Since calculation of Pension Credit takes into account the amount of capital the individual has over £10,000, it could impact on his entitlement to Pension Credit.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question