This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Would there be tax to pay if we transferred a property to our son?


A few years ago, we bought a flat in Sussex for my son to live in. As he was only just starting work we bought it in our name. We would now like to transfer it into his name when the five-year fixed period for the mortgage completes, so that he can take it on in his own name. Will there be tax implications (e.g. stamp duty land tax, capital gains tax) when we transfer it into his name? He has lived in the property as his main residence during the entire period of ownership.

Arthur Weller replies: 

Unless you can establish that your son had beneficial ownership of the flat until now (speak to a tax adviser), if you transfer it to your son now, there will be capital gains tax consequences for you, and stamp duty land tax consequences for your son. The fact that he has lived in the flat as his main residence during the entire period of ownership may help you in establishing that he had beneficial ownership until now (see HMRC guidance at (second bullet point)), but otherwise it will not help you.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question