This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Will there be FHL and entrepreneurs' relief?

A property is owned for, say, 15 years and has been let out on a shorthold assured tenancy. The owner then starts to rent out property on a furnished holiday letting (FHL) for a year and then sells the property. This will then attract 10% capital gains tax (CGT) (entrepreneurs' relief).  Please can you clarify (a) will the 10% CGT be payable on the total amount of gain i.e. the gain over fifteen years, or will it be apportioned between the FHL and the assured period referred to in the example 14 years of shorthold assured tenancy and the 1 year of FHL? (14/15 of the gain at the tax payer’s band and 1/15 of the gain at 10%); (b) If there are any CGT losses brought forward can they offset against the 10% CGT? (c) Can the annual CGT exempt allowance be offset against the gain?

Arthur Weller replies:
a) If you look at and you can see that only the last year when the property was let out as FHL will be eligible for the 10% CGT rate, but not the first 14 years. b) c) If you look at you can see that brought forward CGT losses and the CGT annual exemption can be offset against the gain assessable at 10%.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question