This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Will I Pay Tax If I Rent to a Family Member?


If I rent a room on an informal basis to one/ two members of my family, do I need to pay tax and if so what are the rules?

The money received will just be for bills and will not cover my mortgage payments.

Arthur Says:
If you comply with the rent-a-room rules then you don't need to pay any tax on the money received for the rooms. You can find these rules in the Revenue Property Income Manual page PIM4000 to 4060. If you don't comply with these rules it is quite likely that you will also not have any tax to pay if the money received only covers your expenses and nothing more. In this circumstance you need to make an accurate assessment of your expenses attributable purely to renting out the rooms.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question