Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Will I Be Liable for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the Income from Let Property?


I am exempt from paying tax on my income as I am a non-UK resident. I will soon be renting out my UK flat which currently has an interest only mortgage on it. If I was to use the extra income gained from the rental to make capital overpayments on that mortgage, will I be liable for CGT even though I’m putting it back to reduce my mortgage?

Arthur Weller Replies:

There is no liability to CGT unless you sell or give away (dispose of) the property, so that there is a change in the beneficial ownership of the property. When you make capital repayments on a mortgage there is no disposal of the property, so no CGT is triggered. See page CG12700 of the HMRC Capital Gains Manual:

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question