This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

When do I start paying tax?

Question If a rental property is owned in joint names but then needs to be owned as a sole trader (i.e. when one person changes from high tax payer to low tax payer) - how does this work? If the mortgage/deeds are in joint names these need to be changed and then is the new income tax calculated from the date the change was actioned?

Ian Says

The new income tax is based upon the date of change.  To be on the safe side the mortgage and deeds should be changed to single ownership- this may present a CGT problem if the two owners are not married as transfers between partners are not exempt from CGT, only between married couples. There may also be a stamp duty charge on the transfer of value dependent on the value of the amount transferred.

It should be borne in mind that fees and costs will be associated with the transfer and these need to be borne in mind when calculating any tax saving.  If there are multiple properties concerned then it may be easier to set up a management company (details of which can be found in my book 'How to Use Companies to Cut Property Taxes, available though our web site).

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question