This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

What would be the tax consequences for any of the parties?

Question We are looking to buy our next property but the current property, which we bought using a ‘Help To Buy’ equity loan, is not having many viewings. To help us, our in-laws have offered to buy the property with cash at the original purchase price so that we can be chain-free and not incur the second home stamp duty land tax (SDLT) supplement (as there is a very real chance of completing on the next property before we have sold this one). Is it legal to sell the property to them at the original purchase price or even at a lower price and are there any tax consequences for any of the parties?

Arthur Weller replies:
It is certainly legal to sell the property to them at the original purchase price, or even at a lower price, but for capital gains tax purposes it is deemed that you are selling to them at today's market value. See This should not cause you a problem, because I would imagine that any capital gain you incur by this sale is covered by principal private residence relief (PPR). However, I would suggest you think twice about this arrangement because your in-laws will have to pay SDLT on the purchase of the house from you, based on the amount they actually pay you. Furthermore, according to the new rules, if you only sell your current main residence after purchase of a new main residence, as long as it is within three years, you can get a refund of the extra 3% SDLT. See, at section 3.25.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question