This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

What reliefs are we entitled to?

Question My partner and I (we are not married) have owned a buy-to-let property for four years and have just moved into it (having paid off the buy-to-let mortgage). We intend to live here for at least two years and wonder what will happen when we sell? Will we be entitled to capital gains tax letting relief (would we get two letting reliefs?) and our personal allowances even though we did not live in it before it was let out?

Arthur Weller replies:
The answer is you will get two letting reliefs when you sell. See on the HMRC website, that joint owners can each get their own letting exemption. It is not necessary to have lived in the property before letting it out, to be eligible for letting relief.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question