This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

What is our capital gains tax if we sell to our tenant?

My husband and I bought our house in 2000 for £184,000. We lived there until 2005 when we moved abroad for work. The house has been rented out since 2005 to various tenants. The current tenant has now asked if he can buy at market value of £360,000.  We own 2 other properties in the UK which we also rent out. We have a further property which we use as our PPR and it is not rented out. We submit separate self-assessments to HMRC each year and taking out all allowable deductibles, we have just starting paying a small amount of tax on our rental incomes. How much capital gains tax (CGT) are we liable for if we sell to our tenant? Also, is it advisable to sell the other 2 properties before we return to the UK to avoid CGT?

Arthur Weller replies:
From what I can see there should be no CGT when you sell your house for £360,000. The initial gain is £176,000 (£360,000 - £184,000) for both of you, or £88,000 each. Since you have owned the house for 13 years this equates to a gain of £6,770 per year (88 / 13). The first 5 years (2000 to 2005) are exempt, since you actually occupied the property then as your PPR, and the last 3 years of ownership (2010 - 2013) are also exempt due to the 'last 3 years rule'. So there is only CGT for the middle 5 years (2005 - 2010), equating to £33,850 (5 x 6.77). But since you let out the property in those 5 years, the letting exemption (maximum £40,000 each, available to both you and your husband) reduces the £33,850 gain to nil. 

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question