This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

What happens after April when taper relief is abolished?


What happens after April when taper relief is abolished? How is the net value of the property calculated? 


James Says:

After 5 April 2008, both taper relief and the indexation allowance will be abolished for gains made by individuals and trustees (no change has been proposed to the rules for taxing companies' gains). On a sale of an asset, you will simply deduct the acquisition costs (and any capital expenditure on improvements still evident in the property) and the costs of sale from the sale proceeds, deduct your annual exempt amount (currently £9,200), and charge the gain at 18%. In the case of certain business assets, there will be a relief known as "entrepreneurs’ relief".

Case Study

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question