This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Tax Implications for Receiving a share of Equity From My Mother's Property


My mother's property has been willed to me but I currently own a property; what would be the tax implications if she were to transfer a share of the equity to me from her property, which is completely freehold asset?


My own property is currently in an negative equity situation.


Arthur Says:

From my reading of the question, it seems to me that your mother is still alive. Therefore, the fact that the property has been willed to you is not relevant, since no transaction has actually taken place. The fact that you already own a property, and that it is in a negative equity situation is also not relevant.


What is relevant is that you mother is transferring a share of her property to you. If you are not paying her anything, i.e. it is a gift, then there is no stamp duty on the transfer. If there is a mortgage on the property, and you take over responsibilty for all or part of the mortgage, then the amount of the mortgage you take responsibility for is considered as 'payment', and there could be stamp duty according to the value of this amount.


If your mother has lived in this house as her 'principal private residence' (ppr) for all the time she owned it, then she will not be liable to any capital gains tax (cgt) on this transfer. Since a mother and son/daughter are considered 'connected persons' in tax legislation, she is deemed to transfer the property to you at 'present market value'. Therefore, your 'base cost' when you want to sell or dispose of this property in the future, is todays 'present market value'.


If she has not lived in the property as her ppr for all the time she owned it, then there could be cgt on this transfer, if the property is worth more now than what she paid for it when she acquired it. This would need some calculating.


If your mother wants to live in the property after transferring part of it to you, then there could be inheritance tax and 'pre owned asset' income tax issues to deal with. 

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question