This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Paying a seller £220k now and the remaining £20k when the property is resold.

Question I'm purchasing a property for £240k which I intend to resell in 6 months time. I am paying the seller £220k now and the remaining £20k when I resell the property.

The question I have is - does IR see the £20k as a cost in the transaction and deductible for CGT purposes? For example if I resell the property for £300k, is my CGT liability £300k - £240k (as the £20k is seen as a cost in the trasnaction) or is it £300k - £220k.

Arthur Says
The £20K is a cost of the transaction, and the profit in your scenario would be £300K - £240K. However since you are purchasing the property with the intent to sell on in 6 months, the profit would not be a CGT liability but subject to income tax, and probably Class 4 NI

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question