This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

My property is part residential and part business. Can I claim PPR relief?


If you live in a property which was previously part residential and part business and part rental how long does it take to become PPR after trading and rental activities cease and the whole property has been used only for your own needs?


Arthur Says

The answer to this question depends on the facts of the case:


A: If you continue to live in the property while letting part of it, your capital gains exemption (PPR) is not affected if the letting takes the form of boarders who effectively live as part of the family.


B: Where, however, the letting extends beyond this, then the appropriate fraction of the gain on disposal is chargeable, but there is a letting exemption available to reduce this chargeable gain.


This letting exemption is not available if the let part of the property is effectively a separate dwelling, such as a self-contained flat with its own access. But where part of the home is let, without substantial structural alterations, it will qualify, even if it has separate facilities.


C: When business and rental activities cease, then the owner will continue to get PPR relief only on the area actually occupied for personal needs, unless they start using the whole property personally. The time required for this is the same as for moving into an entirely new property and making it your PPR, i.e. perhaps six months to a year.


Case Study

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question