This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Is this a ‘wasting asset’?

I recently purchased a leasehold property and the original lease was 99 years of which 10 years are left. I paid £100,000 to the existing leaseholder for the assignment of lease in my favour for right to use property for the next 10 years. Would this be classed as a wasting asset and if yes what is the correct tax treatment please?

Arthur Weller replies:
Of the £100,000 received by the existing lease holder, (10 - 1) = 9 years at 2% = 18% is treated as a part disposal for capital gains purposes. The remaining £82,000 is treated as rental income in his hands. You can claim this £82,000 as a deduction in calculating your taxable profits, but spread over 10 years, i.e. £8,200 per year.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question