This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

If We Sell at a Loss, Will We Still Have to Pay CGT?

We are looking to move and are considering a buy-to-let scheme on our house in order to rent this property out.  We purchased the property at £250K and it is currently valued at £230K.  If we rent the property out for a year or two and then sell at £230K, will we still have to pay CGT even though the sale was at loss to the original purchase price?

Arthur Weller Replies:
If you look on HMRC website Capital Gains Manual at page CG14200  ( you can see that the capital gains computation is simply the disposal proceeds less the original expenditure. In your case this results in a negative £20,000 figure so you will have no CGT to pay. You have a capital loss that you can offset against any capital gains made this year or in future years. Also see page CG15810 (

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question